Tips for Crafting the Perfect Holiday To-Do List
So you’re new to the whole Christmas thing, we’re here to help. The first and probably most important step is to create a master checklist of all the things you need to accomplish before the holiday season ends.
If you are a master of making lists, feel free to move on. You already know these tricks. For those of you that struggle with getting organized, here’s your crash course.
1. Put it on paper. Sit down, grab a cup of coffee or tea and put your distractions aside. Think about everything that needs to get done. Don’t worry about what comes first. Just write (or type) it down as it occurs to you.
2. Break it down, baby. What needs to be done today? This week? This month? What tasks go together? This is about prioritizing and creating smaller projects within your larger “Holiday To-Do List”.
3. Time is on your side. How long will each item take? This is an estimation, so don’t get bogged down by it. It’s your best guess, but always overestimate! It’s better to have more time, than less.
4. Be realistic. If you look at your list and it gives you a stomach ache, you’re expecting too much from yourself. Take the list of things you want to do today and tear it in half. Pick the half that contains the most crucial items and move the rest to your weekly list.
5. Finally, mix it up. Look at your categories and see what tasks can be done quickly. Pair something that you expect to be time intensive with a task that won’t take long. This will give you a sense of accomplishment.